Monday, January 18, 2010

Martin Luther King Jr.

Today I am thankful for Martin Luther King Jr. I cannot fathom feeling so passionate about something to risk my life, my families lives, my reputation....everything! There are many issues that I feel strongly about and sympathize with, but I don't even think I would hold a sign and picket for these causes much less make it my life's mission to help these causes. MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech is one of my all time favorite speeches!!!! The only time I ever went to Washington, D.C. one of my favorite places to visit was the Lincoln Memorial and stand on the steps where he gave this famous speech. I consider myself so lucky to teach at a school where some many ethnicities are represented. It is and was Dr. King's dream! We are so fortunate to live in a country where we are all Americans and we all look so different. 50 plus years later, many stereotypes and prejudices still exist (and I am guilty of some of these), but our country has come so far! If you have the day off today enjoy! Take the time and YouTube this famous speech....it never gets old!
Hope all is well....

post signature

1 comments:

Amanda said...

I show the "I have a Dream" speech every semester in my class, it's so powerful!! I love it! Hope you won big at the races and Franklin and I are working on our cornice boards today, wish us luck!