Today I am thankful for the beautiful weather. The past couple of weeks it has been bitterly (for Arkansas) cold! Today we made it to 50 degrees and sunny. It was the first time since before Christmas that I have been able to take Coco on a walk. She loved it and it is always a great way to unwind after work.
I spent the rest of the afternoon cooking. Tomorrow night, is our first Gossip Girl Supper Club of 2010. It is my turn to cook and I am making Veggie Burgers. I have made these before and there was a request for a repeat. I am putting the recipe on here. You can make them ahead and freeze. I think they are better without a bun and the Yogurt-Garlic Sauce is super yummy! I am the only vegetarian in our supper club and these were still a huge hit...lots of flavor. Enjoy!
Veggie Burgers
Ingredients
Serves 6
2 portobello mushrooms (8 ounces), stems removed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 small zucchini
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
1/4 cup minced shallot (1 large shallot)
1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup quinoa, cooked according to package directions (2 cups cooked)
2 teaspoons coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs
6 whole-wheat buns, split
Yogurt- Garlic Sauce(see recipe below)
Directions
Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped, and transfer to a bowl. Shred zucchini, place on paper towels, and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Add to mushrooms.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add shallot and red-pepper flakes, and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and zucchini, and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add Parmesan, quinoa, and salt. Season with pepper. Let cool completely, then stir in egg and breadcrumbs. Cover, and refrigerate until cold and firm, about 1 hour.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Shape mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties, pressing firmly. Cook in batches until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. (We cooked ours on the George Forman)
Yogurt-Garlic Sauce
Ingredients
Makes 1 cup
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and chopped
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
Directions
Combine yogurt, parsley, capers, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Hope all is well....

0 comments:
Post a Comment