Friday, January 15, 2016

Wild Wyoming Living & Soup Recipe

This pregnant moose was in my yard when I got home from work on Wednesday. I was waiting in my car because I have been charged by a moose and it can be scary. She ate some of our trees and then thankfully moved on to the neighbors yard. Oh Wyoming...
Coco post groomer yesterday. Love this cutest, sweetest girl in the world! 
This morning post snowy run. My eyelashes were frozen, but it was a great way to start the day! 

On Wednesday, I said I was making soup and would share the recipe if it turned out well. This is a Winter Minestrone from the website Goop. My bestie, Clare, shared it with me. I used veggie stock instead of chicken stock. The next time I make it, I won't use as much rosemary and the pesto is key! Super yummy and a great lunch/dinner during these cold days/nights! Enjoy....

Winter Minestrone

Full of vegetables, beans, and farro, this hearty soup is even better the next day. We like to make a big batch on Sunday and eat throughout the week. 
SERVES 4-6
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, finely-diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 cup farro (uncooked)
2 teaspoons rosemary, finely-chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, finely-chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
2 cups packed chopped kale
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 large zucchini, diced
salt and pepper
crushed red chili flakes, to garnish (optional)
pesto, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a pot of dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and a large pinch of salt and sauté 5 minutes.
2. Add farro, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, and another generous pinch of salt and cook 2 more minutes.
3. Add chicken stock and water, bring the mixture up to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add kale, beans, and another pinch of salt and return to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and simmer another 10 minutes.
6. Add diced zucchini, turn off the heat, and let zucchini cook in the warm broth for 1 minute.
7. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.

8. Serve hot and garnish with crushed red chili flakes and pesto, if desired.


Looking forward to the LONG holiday weekend. Planning to sleep in and go snowboarding, a lot. 

XOXO-
EEE


0 comments: