Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Strawberry Wednesday

I started this blog in May/June of 2008.  I was finishing up my 2nd year teaching Elementary Art at Terry Elementary and had just purchased my 1st house.  Over the years, I have gone back and forth from blogging a lot, to doing a year of thankfulness, to not blog much and in 2015 I didn't blog AT ALL!!!

Why the name Strawberry Wednesday?!  One day, when I taught elementary Art, I asked my young student the name of her painting and she said "Strawberry Wednesday."  Mind you there were no strawberries or any fruit and I am pretty sure it was a Tuesday.  For some reason, I LOVED this name!  I thought if I had a store some day or any business, that is what I would call it.  If you try any other fruit/day combination it sounds weird, but this works. 

When I started this blog, I decided to use her painting name because I loved it so much.

This year I made no grandiose New Year's resolutions.  Something that I wish that I did was keep a journal.  I know people who have written in a journal for years.  Maybe they write down their prayers like a prayer journal, do the 1 line-a-day journal or that cool 5 year journal, but every year I wish that was me.

This year I have decided to journal/blog.  It is always cool to look back and see what was going on in your life or prayers that have been answered.

This blog(my journal) will be a mix of prayers, life happenings and ramblings.  Feel free to read and follow along with what is happening in my life/(scattered) brain.  And if something strikes you as interesting or relatable, please leave a comment. 

This blog may take place of social media (Instagram), so check back often to see pics of Coco and the gorgeous Jackson Hole scenery (pretty much all I ever post pics of...ha!).

Today is my 2nd day back at work since break and it was a struggle to get up and I have had a hard time getting motivated ALL DAY!!!   At least it warmed up above 20 degrees for the first time since Christmas.  Looking forward to making some yummy carrot soup (recipe below) tonight.

Creamy Thai Carrot Soup with Basil
 
Prep time:
Cook time
Total time
 
Thai-inspired, 7 ingredient, 30-minute carrot soup that’s creamy, vegan + gluten free, perfectly sweet and spicy and so delicious.
Author:
Recipe type: Soup, Entree
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Thai
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1/2 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, diced
  • 1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 2 cups Veggie Stock + 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor)
  • 2 tsp chili garlic sauce (use less for less spice)
  • TOPPINGS: Fresh basil, cilantro, or mint; coconut milk; brown sugar or agave nectar (sub honey if not vegan); Sriracha hot sauce
  • (NOT LISTED: Coconut or Olive Oil for sauteing)
Instructions
  1. Heat a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Dice onion and garlic. Add to pot with 1 Tbsp coconut or olive oil (or nonstick spray). Add carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
  3. Season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper, then add veggie stock and 2 cups of water and stir.
  4. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until veggies are tender (test by cutting a larger piece of carrot in half – it should cut with ease).
  5. Transfer to a blender (or use an immersion blender) and blend until smooth and creamy. (Cover with a towel in case your lid leaks any soup while blending.)
  6. Add peanut butter and chili garlic sauce to the blender and blend to combine, using a ‘puree’ or ‘liquify’ setting if you have it.
  7. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. For a touch of added sweetness, add a Tbsp or so of brown sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (or honey if not vegan). Add more chili garlic sauce for more heat.
  8. Serve immediately with fresh basil or herbs of choice. A drizzle of coconut milk will add a creamy, sweet touch. Serve with sriracha for extra heat.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1 of 4 bowls Calories: 224 Fat: 14.6g Saturated fat: 2.2g Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 8g Sodium: 239mg Fiber: 5.7g Protein: 7.1g

Happy Tuesday!!!

XOXO-
EEE 


2 comments:

Mimi and Pops said...

Dear Effie,
I think about you and Coco so often!! Sure wish we could have visited over the holidays. Did it seem to fly by at record speed this year to you?? Loving reading your "journal". Everything is pretty normal here. And that's how I like it. Don't want any more curves in the road!! You take care of yourself and Coco. Stay warm. Mercy....10 degrees!!! Thanks so much for sharing the soup recipe. I am trying to lose this weight I've gained and it ain't easy!! Warmest blessings to you and Coco.
Love you,
Angela.

Debby said...

So glad you posted this recipe!!! I've been thinking about carrot soup ever since I had Curt's. I know this isn't the same, but it looks delish... and I'm excited about your blog!
Love you,
Mom