Down time at the piano after work.
As a kid, my sweet mother had high hopes that we would all play the piano. She played growing up and her sister is a great pianist. For some reason, I was the only kid that stuck with it. To be honest, I cannot remember if it was because I wasn't allowed to quit or if I wanted to continue, but either way I took piano lessons for many years. There is a picture of me sitting at the piano crying while being made to practice...ha!
I haven't taken lessons since I was 18, but last year was bummed that it was a skill that I let go by the wayside. I decided to try and start playing an hour or 2 a week. I love to play worship music, which is mostly chord progressions. I found this time to be so relaxing. I wasn't playing for anyone and certainly was rusty when I started, but it just felt so good to play. I did this for a couple of months, but once school started back in September I just haven't made the time to play.
In 2016, I didn't make any resolutions, but just like with running, I had some ideas of things I would like to do more often. Playing the piano was one of them. It took me until February to play, but I played this week one afternoon after work. It was awesome and a wonderful way to wind down and decompress from the day.
There are so many skills that we all possess. We live in such a critical and perfection driven society that sometimes we don't allow ourselves to explore talents. You don't have to be performance ready with your music or gallery worthy with your art for it to be an outlet. It is important to allow yourself creative moments. For me personally, it is what keeps that "spark" in my brain to strive to do more and be more. It is important in life to have purpose, but I believe purpose without passion is a lost cause.
I'm off to play the piano.....
Go do something creative!
Happy Weekend!
XOXO-
EEE
1 comments:
Great word of encouragement
Post a Comment