This is my favorite hymn!
Today at church our pianist played it during the offertory. Our pianist is currently suffering from and inoperable, incurable, cancerous brain tumor. He is an accomplished pianist and a dear friend's mentor and piano teacher. I was so struck by the beautiful arrangement. This evening, I inquired if this was his original arrangement and it was. It was so moving and made me reflect on this, my favorite hymn. I hope to somehow get a recording of this heartfelt and gorgeous arrangement.
I love the lyrics. I think my favorite line is "thou my best thought, by day or by night."
It was inspired by St. Patrick who defied the king and lit candles when he wasn't supposed to. The king was so impressed by his devotion that he allowed him to continue his work. The author was inspired by St. Patrick's loyalty to God that he penned this hymn.
As someone who has terrible vision and know that I would be lost (literally) without my glasses/contacts, seeing things clearly is something that resonates with me. Asking God to be our vision and lead and guide us and be our ALL is such an important part of our Christian walk. The surrender to his will and not ours....
BE THOU MY VISION
by Dallan Forgaill, 8th century
(translated by Eleanor H. Hull and versified by Mary E. Byrne)
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
XOXO-
EEE
0 comments:
Post a Comment