Monday, April 5, 2010

Tennis

Today I am thankful for tennis. It is that time of year when it is perfect to go play tennis in the afternoon after work. I didn't play tennis, consistently, growing up. When I was in junior high my mom started taking a friend and I and teaching us how to play. Fast forward to 2007 and I hadn't picked up a racket in about 6 years, so I decided to take some lessons. I don't really think that these helped, but it was fun! Some friends and I play in a charity tennis tournament every summer in support of a friend of ours that passed away. I really enjoy tennis and I am always looking for someone to play with. I have played in several leagues, but don't like the night that my skill level plays on so I dropped out. I have gotten my friend Jenna all psyched about playing so I have someone to play with consistently! We're thinking after we get a little better we might join a doubles league. The funny thing is tennis is the only sport that I have really tried at and I'm not that good, but I still enjoy playing!!! We like to go play and then go have a beer on a patio somewhere....how awesome!!!

This past week was a little tough. One of my students that I have taught since he was in PreK was in an accident and passed away on Friday. The tears have come often, but our first day back since his passing has been ok. The students that I teach have so many problems and issues that I could never fathom as a child much less an adult. Today, I had a little girl tell me that her dad was in jail. I started crying because I love these kids and would take so many of them home if I could!

On a lighter note, Easter was so nice. It was the first time in a couple years that it hasn't been freezing. My mom's friend from college and her husband were with us this year. I had never met them and really enjoyed their company. I am like my dad in the way that sometimes I don't want to meet new people and want it just to be family, but as my mom said sometimes friends make the best "family"....I couldn't agree more!!!! The Easter bunny was good to me this year.

Hope all is well....

post signature

1 comments:

In This Wonderful Life said...

I started to get back into tennis last year! I'm not very good though! Maybe again someday..