Tuesday, April 5, 2011

One Day Without Shoes

Today is the "One Day Without Shoes" event. In my classroom, we have held a shoe drive. Also, this afternoon we are going to walk around the school without our shoes on and see what the different surfaces feel like. I organized for all the teachers at our school to wear TOMS today and after school we are going to take a group picture and do something cool. I will definitely share it. TOMS is an amazing company and I have done multiple blog posts about it. If you don't have a pair check out their website www.toms.com. They have some really cute ones for the Spring!

I have to remind myself on days like today that there are children in countries that live without shoes. Last Thursday, my car broke down in the middle of the road. I have never had car trouble and was just praying it wasn't something major.... The Acura dealership called the next day to say that it was kind of a big deal, but not terrible. Well, they got all the parts in today and ran some more tests only to find out that it was a big deal and the price to fix it almost doubled! Needless to say, I had a complete meltdown. This car is paid for and I really don't want a car payment. Also, I have been saving to do some repairs to my front porch that really need to be done. All that money is now going to the car. Side note, if I went on a shopping spree and spent this amount I wouldn't bat an eyelash...ha! Goodbye any sort of vacation or shopping money for awhile until my savings account can recoup.

Enough poor me.... Then I have to remember, I have a job, insurance, benefits, a nice house that I own, fabulous friends and family, I am healthy....and the list could go on. Life could be a lot worse and this is just a slight speed bump. At least, until it gets fixed I'm getting to drive a brand new car and enjoy all it's luxuries. Also, my car is nice and should be good to go after this little time at the "hospital." I'm sure you're bored by now...

Hope all is well....

post signature

2 comments:

Brittany said...

A Day Without Shoes is a great event! I noticed a few of the universities around my home town were participating. I enjoy reading your blog and would love for you to check out mine! bmaryandblessed.blogspot.com!

Bryan Tyler said...

The "One Day Without Shoes" event sounds intriguing, since the last time I went barefoot was when I joined my friend's parkour training. Also, it's a tough luck that you got your car busted down in the middle of the road. Now you have to go on and slash off your savings for it. But you'll get over it in a while, I'm sure.